Thursday, July 20, 2006

On starting a photography business....

Okay, so I've been missing in action. Thank you to those who noticed and sent me an email (smiles to Krista!) And, I must admit that my Mom also has dropped some subtle hints.

So, foolish me thought that starting a home photography business would be a snap. It has been WAY MORE WORK than I imagined. We've done it though--we have a beautiful studio and new carport/presentation room addition. We've dropped a load of money to make this happen. Now, we're biting our fingernails waiting for the phone to start ringing with appointments.

This is the hard part. The easy part is capturing the joy scattered in this world. Like the little girl above--how beautiful is she?! She was one of the models at my classroom shoot the other night. Wowsers. I love capturing a person's beauty on film (well, or memory card as it may be). I love photography and never stop wanting to be better. But, the marketing and hassles are tough.

Meanwhile, my Gabriel is crawling and pulling up all the time. He is so cute I could just smooch him to death. He now gives us "kiss kisses" which can end up in a nasty bite on your cheek if you don't watch those six toofers of his. He may have only six toofers, but he knows how to use them. And, he is totally bored with baby food. He wants what we have, NOW. Can't blame a boy for wanting the finer things in life.

We will have him baptized this Sunday. It will be a time of mixed emotion for me. The last time we baptized children it was because they were dying in our arms. I can't seem to get past that and the memories haunt me this week. I want Sunday to be all about Gabe, but I want to remember our precious babies, Sarah, Rachel and Noah too. It is hard when joy and sorrow collide.

We are blessed. I feel very fulfilled and excited about all that is going on. I will teach theology this fall and then a course in style in photography in the winter term. I'm very excited about both!

Thanks for hanging in with me...it has been a wild ride. Posted by Picasa

No comments: